Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Reading Goals


Just about two months ago, I wrote a post about trying to finally take care of all those things that have been languishing around my house and on my lists waiting to be done, waiting to be crossed off.  (Is there anything more satisfying than crossing items off the to do list?  The answer is no.)
I have been doing exceptionally well with my craft projects and okay with using up food items, although I could be doing a better job at that, but my to read list has not been gettnig smaller at all.  To the contrary.  It's just been growing. For every book that I cross off the list, two take its place.
So I decided that I just need to get really real about all of this.  I need to be focused and get organized.  One thing that really helped me with my projects was making a list.  (Surprise!)  I made a list of all of the projects that I had already started.  Not ideas for projects that I'd like to do someday, but projects I had already begun and made some progress, however small, on.  I'd need to do the same thing for books.  So I sat down and made a list.  I looked at my "to read" list on Goodreads, at what is on my kindle, at what I've gotten ARCs of from NetGalley, and what is physically on my "to be read" shelf at home.  Wow.  I haven't quite finished making my list yet, but it is almost three full pages.  Granted, this is a handwritten list and my handwriting has been described as "big, bubbly girl writing", but still.  And that's just the fiction books.  The cookbooks and craft books are on a seperate list.  So, I think, all told, when my list in complete there will be between 70 and 80 items on it. 



To be honest, that is a really overwhelming number.  (Before starting the list, I ruthlessly culled the to be read shelf at home, so it could have been more!)   But the only way to make it smaller - other than just deciding not to read any of these things, which would be silly, since the reason that they are on any of these lists is because they sound like things I would be interested in reading - is to get reading.  So as not to overwhelm myself more, I chose a few books that I will read by the end of 2013.  I lined them up on the mantle this morning and took a picture.  The final four books on the list are not in the picture because they haven't been published yet!

1. How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny
2. Leaving Everything Most Loved by Jacqueline Winspear
3. The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld
4. The Strange Fate of Kitty Easton by Elizabeth Speller
5. A Medal for Murder by Frances Brody
6. More Baths Less Talking by Nick Hornby
7. Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronson
8. Fables - a graphic novel
9. The New Deadwardians - a graphic novel series
10. Ten Lords-a-Leaping by CC Benison
11. Pagan Spring by GM Malliett
12. Summer 1927 by Bill Bryson
13. A Christmas Hope by Anne Perry

13 books for 2013!  These are all books I am really looking forward to reading.  At the end of 2013, I guess we'll regroup and see where we are at with the books.  I think I might know what my reading goal will be for next year - getting that "to be read" list down to zero!

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking that I should be working on my list making this evening. The "problem" is that I tend to start a list in one spot/notebook and then I start again somewhere else and I just keep making my lists and not necessarily accomplishing anything. I like the idea of making a list of projects in progress, too, in the hopes that I would finish some of them so that I can cross them off.

    ReplyDelete