Sunday, September 22, 2013

On a sock kick

Since I knit my first sock about 5 years ago or so, I have been hooked.  I love it!  But I've had a really hard time finding a regular sock pattern.  I really love self-striping yarn, but the stripes with a lacy pattern do not mix.  It is too busy or you just see one element and not the other. 
Susan B. Anderson to the rescue!  She had a blog post that I discovered fairly recently about her basic recipe to make a regular pair of socks.  I gave it a try last month on our vacation and I have been hooked ever since.  Her feet are very close to the same size as mine, which made following her pattern much easier for me.
 This is the first pair that I knit using the pattern. The yarn is Patons, which I bought at Michaels.  I think the name of the colorway was "rusty stripes".  It definitely had the word rusty in it.  They came out just a bit big on me (more on that in a bit) so I gave them to John.  He is modeling them above.
 So when the first pair came out too big, my first inclination was to adjust the pattern for the next pair, which I started almost immediately having enjoyed knitting the first pair so much.  But Susan Anderson's feet really are almost the same size as mine, even a bit smaller, so I really couldn't imagine that the pattern needed to be smaller.  I would give it one more try as written.
I am so glad that I did!  This pair fits like a glove!  This time I used Stroll Handpainted Sock Yarn from Knitpicks in the Frosting colorway.  So I don't know if the difference was in the yarn or my tension or what.  I am going to catch up on a few other projects, but I hope to be back to knitting socks soon and I guess we'll find out then what the problem is.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to knit myself a pair of socks! I have plenty of sock yarn, so that's not an issue. I have knit one sock in the past, and I never made the second one... it was a short ankle sock. I'll have to check out that post and maybe i'll be motivated. If I can knit a pair of fingerless mitts, then I'm confident I can make a pair of socks, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have a problem with second sock syndrome! I've never had that problem, but it's good to know you aren't alone! These socks are very easy, I think. The trickiest part is turning the heel. I just take it one step at a time so that it doesn't get too overwhelming and it turns out just fine. I am confident that you can knit socks, too! Go for it!

      Delete