Monday, September 23, 2013

Donna's bag

Check out my fancy new purse that I made!!  It is the cover bag from Carry Me by Yuka Koshizen and is officially titled "The Granny bag".  I suppose that they are suggesting it is like one your granny might carry?  I have no idea. 
I think of it as the Donna bag, because my friend, Donna, who I know from quilt guild, put together a little kit of this bag for me.  I like to have "to do" lists all the time. I have several different lists going to help me keep track of all kinds of different things.  (For instance, did you know that it is 94 days until Christmas as of the writing of this.  Scary!  But I made a list of people I plan to give gifts to and the Christmas card list today and I am feeling a lot less overwhelmed by the Christmas sitch.  If you would like to feel more in charge of the holidays, rather than the other way around - which, I guess, would mean that the holidays are in charge of you? does that make sense? - you should check out 100 Days to Christmas from Jennifer Tankersly of Listplanit.  She does a wonderful organization countdown to Christmas.  You can buy an ebook or sign up for a free newsletter version.)  In any case, to make a to do list you have to write something down on it.  So your projects have to have names.  And in this case I went with Donna's bag.  Because the bag makes me think of Donna!
The bag was a bit of a challenge for me, but in a really good way.  This was my first time making something without a pattern but with picture instructions instead.  Imagine if Ikea wrote craft instructions.  It was a little like that.  So I really had to focus and figure it out.  But it was such a good feeling at the end when it came out looking so nice and fancy!  Now that I've made one, I would definitely make one again.  It was a great project!  I am so thankful that Donna passed it along to me.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! Great job, Jen! I think of this bag as the Donna bag, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have to have a Black/White day and carry our "Donna" bags. I'm still so in love with this fabric. Jen, you did a great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a great job of hiding my mistakes is what I did! I think a black and white Donna day is an excellent plan.

      Delete
  3. Your bag looks great! I think it would be interesting to try to figure out how to put it together without the typical directions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! It was a challenge, but I really enjoyed it. Kind of like doing a puzzle, which is also something I enjoy.

      Delete