Monday, June 11, 2012

New Chair Cushions

So we really needed some new chair cushions for the dining room table.  And before you think that we are really fancy, using chair cushions, I should tell you that we bought our dining room table at Ikea.  It's made out of pine or something - a very soft wood.  The rivets in John's jeans have scratched up the chairs over time.  Plus, like many guys, John is somewhat lacking in the rear and needs some cushioning.  I, of course, don't have that problem. 
 I decided I would make the new cushions.  I further decided that, being a smartypants, I could figure out how to make them without a pattern.  And I did.  I used some fat quarters that I already had and whipped these puppies up.  Very proud of myself.  :)

The old chair cushions, which, like the chairs, came from Ikea.  You know, you pay $3 for something 7 years ago and it wears out on you.  They just don't make things like they used to.
This was a collection of fat quarters I already had, that someone passed on to me.  I think they are Joel Dewberry, but I am not sure.  The motifs pictured kind of go with our dining room rug.

One of my cushions.  Each cushion uses two different fabrics, so they are reversible.
Another cushion.  You can see the ties that I made in the lower left of this picture.

I decided to stuff these with polyfil, rather than use foam, which was what people online recommended.  But I had stuffing on hand, so that's what I went with.  I'm all about using what's on hand these days.

In this same dining room, I have a basket that is for my craft projects that are "in-process".  Due to a combination of the etsy store, my mom's death, and my friend Sue cleaning out her craft room, this basket was totally overflowing.  I am trying to work my way to the bottom now.  That doesn't mean I am going to finish all of the projects, but I will look at them and decide if they are even anything I want to work on or if I am holding onto it out of a sense of obligation.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment